12 November 2013

Fig Chutney


I love to make my own perserves, but what I really like the most is to enjoy them with cheese, patés or foie, as an appetizer spread. I use to make fig jam, is actually one of my favorites, also for salty dishes, but the chutney fig is even better for grilled meats, I love its sweet and sour taste. Did you ever try the chutney? Is a traditionally perserve from the indian cousine, probably the most known is the mango one, but there are many varieties of chutney.
Jam and preserves is a nice homemade present, last year I give away some jams to my relatives and friends for Christmas, and this year I'm thinking to delight them again with any other handmade jar such as this chuteny. 

Fig Chutney 
1 small red onion chopped
1 lemon zest and juice
50 ml white wine vinegar
50 g sugar
fresh ginger grated, about 1 cm
1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 small cinnamon stick
3 cloves
a pinch of salt
50 g raisins
250 g fresh figs
soft olive oil

Cook the onion in a medium sauce pan with some oil. Add the rest of the ingredients except the figs. Let cook over a medium low heat until the onion is completely softened., about 20 minutes. Add the fig quarters, cover the pan and cook on low for 5-10 mins. Remove the lid and cook 10 to 15 minutes over low heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and becomes like jam. Pour into a hot sterilized jar, seal and allow to cool. up side down, for 2 hour and refrigerate.

With these amount of ingriedients I filled 2 jars of 150 ml.
This recipe is adapted from here
If you enjoy making your own perserves you can have a look to this pumpkin jam or this chestnut cream.
Enjoy your week 

No comments:

Post a Comment