21 January 2014

Orange Cake


I guess at this point of the month in the most most of you are suffering the cold proper of the season, well if you are lucky to live at the other side of the globe, I'm so jelous, invitations are welcome! I have to admit this winter is less cold than last year, but for me it is freezing out there. So what better on a free day to be sitting on the sofa reading books and magazines and getting ideas for further recipes. I saw this recipe on Jamie Oliver's magazine, and last saturday I saw this recipe again and I jump into the kitchen to make it for the second time. If you like orange you will love this moist and soft cake.  you can keep it for days, actually in the details below you will see I say up to four days, because this is the maximum I kept it, but I am pretty sure you can keep it longer. 

Orange Cake
Makes a 23 cm tin
200 g unsalted butter at room temperature
4 tablespoons of cane sugar
2 small oranges, thinly sliced
200 g sugar
6 tablespoons of orange marmalade
4 large eggs
200 g self-raising flour
50 g almond flour
a pinch of salt
the zest and the juice of two oranges

Preheat the oven to 170°.
Grease the base and sides of a loose-bottomed cake tin. Sprinkle the base with the cane sugar. Put the orange slices over the sugar on the base of the tin.
In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy, add three of the tablespoons of marmalade, beat and add the beaten eggs. Fold in the flour, the ground almonds, a pinch of salt and the orange zest and juice.
Pour the cake batter gently into the tin over the orange slices. Place the tin in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes, until golden and firm to touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Very carefully, while it is still slightly warm, turn out the cake onto a serving plate.
Make a glaze with the rest of the marmalade in a pan with some water. Take a skewer make holes all over the cake. Pour the glaze over the cake. Serve at room temperature it can also be served warm with whipped cream or ice cream. This cake can be stored at room temperature until 4 days.

Enjoy your week 


1 comment:

  1. Hey there I left you a comment but for some reason it disappeared.. So here we go again..
    I have never used marmalade in my cake batter but recently used it in the filling of my Orange Spiced Cake recipe & loved it :-)
    Your cake is simply gorgeous!! Xx

    ReplyDelete