18 February 2014

Custard Pots


What happend if the oven gets broken? actually for me it's a big disaster! but there is always other alternatives, that's what I did during almost a week. Yes my lovely kitchen friend didn't want to work any longer, actually the door got broken and could not be repared. It was actually an old oven, but it was the one I used since I moved to the Netherlands, by the time I am writting this post, so one day before to publish it, the new oven has been already intstalled today. So I had no time to try how it works at all, it really looks perfect and I baked potatoes for dinner, let's see if it bakes as good as I hope! I will let you know next week.  

So in the meanwhile I've been without baking for a week, and last friday I had friends for a quick dinner and I did custard pots which was also a request of one of my guests. I decided to take some pictures just in case, and here they are. This is the recipe we used in my mum's home, this is a very traditional dessert in my country. You can have a look to this recipe as well if you like this kind of dessert. Hope you enjoy them as much as me, it makes me remember when I was a little one!




Custard Pots
Serves 6
500 ml milk
4 egg yolk large
1 cinnamon stick
90 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar (8 g)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
cookies and ground cinnamon to decorate

Whisk the egg yolks, the sugars and the cornstarch in a bowl until smooth. 
Put the milk and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan and cook until just before start boiling. 
Remove from the heat, alow to rest for a while and gets the cinnamon flavour.
Pour the milk into the previous mixture bowl slowly and mixing at the same time.
Put everything back in the saucepan and cook over low heat whisking constantly until starts to thinken, remove remove from heat and pour the mixture in the moldes, let them cool completly and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Dust with cinnamon and you can top with a cookie before serving or put them at the bottom of the tin, just like I did, in my case I used my favorite cookie, Oreo.





Hope you liked and you try this easy recipe, do not forget to let me know if you do them!


Enjoy your week  


1 comment:

  1. These look so rustic and I love rustic! I love that you used Oreos instead of the normal "galletas Maria"
    Hope your new oven works perfectly, cant wait to see what you bake in it :-) Have a super week!! Xx

    ReplyDelete