04 March 2014

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake



Hello, today I was expecting to show you my birthday cake I did last weekend. Yes! I've turned one year old! I invited some friends to home on saturday evening and I delighted them with some appetizers, quiches and a cake. I spent the whole day in the kitchen preparing everything, but it was worth and I had a lovely evening. With the rush I could not make properly pictures to the table I prepared, so no pictures.
So here I am with this yummy loaf cake with lemon and poppy seed and drizzled with a lemon glaze. The recipe is adapted from Lorraine Pascale. I still have poppy seeds which I've got on my last visit to my friend Fernanda in Edinburgh, she is the owner of the lovely blog of Fascinating Food. Hope you enjoy this cake!




Poppy Seed Cake
makes a 18 cm tin
125 g unsalted butter at room temperature
150 g white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
150 g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt 
2 lemons
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC.
Sift the flour, the baking powder and the salt in a bowl and set aside.
Cream the butter and the sugar in a large bowl with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs and beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and the grate of the two lemons and beat just until wel combined. Finally add the poppy seeds, mix and pour into the greased loaf tin. Bake for 35 minutes or until you insert a skewer in the middle this comes clean. Remove from the oven and alow the cake to cool down for few minutes and place in a wire rack.
In the meanwhile make the drizzle mixing a tablespoon of the lemon juice and the icing sugar in a bowl until you get the desired consistency.
Drizzle the loaf and serve. 




If you like this combination do not miss these muffins.

Have a nice week  

1 comment:

  1. I´m a huge fan of poppy seeds, in South Africa we have poppy seed muffins for breakfast and it´s yummy! Next time try to pare it with orange.. it´s devine!! Have a great week!! Xx

    ReplyDelete